Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bitchin Cook

I love to cook, but I gave up my Bon Appetit subscription a couple of years ago for a couple of reasons.  One was that I could go to my parents house, or the library and read it.  Second with epicurious on line I could get a good rendering of just about anything.  Finally, I gave it up because the recipes were complex, time consuming and my kids would not eat 99.9% of the dishes.

Anyway, last week I came to the conclusion that I am a Bitchin cook.  I took the time effort and energy to make chicken soup from scratch.  Chicken, broth, carrots, celery and onion(all cut in big chunks that are easy to pick out) and of course thick wide egg noodles.  I bring the savory steaming bowls to the table while the buttermilk biscuits are browning in the oven.  Henry went first:
 "Mom you know I don't like onions."  I calmly reply, "So just pick them out." More complaining from him. 
Then Albert started, "What is this green thing?  It looks gross."  I less calmly reply, "So just pick them out."  More complaining from him.
Then Henry goes again, "I'm not eating this."  
Then Ella, "I'm not eating this.''  
I pour myself a glass of wine.   Take a big sip, "Well I guess you will be hungry."  
All Three children then see the beautiful golden brown, warm buttermilk biscuts, the jam and the cream cheese.  
"Well, maybe we could drink the broth and eat the noodles," Henry suggests.  
"Good idea", I say.

The next night I made Bitchin Hamburgers.  Ella says, "Mommy, I like bitchin hamburgers!"

1 comment:

  1. It's always a good idea to have some totally rad bitchin' biscuits with soup.
    Hooray for the burklezoo blog!

    ReplyDelete